REAR CALIPERS

2000 GMC Jimmy

Brakes problem
2000 GMC Jimmy 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

Hi Guys. I hate to bother you with such a simple question, but I am having a problem and I cant figure it out. I am replacing the rear pads on my disc brakes, and I cant figure out how to get the pistons back into the caliper housing. They are obviously extended out because the old pads had worn out. But I've tried pressing them, prying them and even used a " C" clamp and still can't get the pistons back in. What am I doing wrong? HELP!

Gary
Gary Drake

Remove the park brake lever You may be able to get the tool from Auto Zone. If not channel locks will work you have to rotate piston clockwise while applying pressure. Care not to tear dust boot.
Good luck

Docfixit
Thanks for the help Guys. I got the piston back in just fine. While in the air before putting the tires on, I cranked the car and put it in gear and let the rotor turn and applied the brakes to seat the pards and no problems. But now, after driving a few miles and stopping, there is a lot of smoke and heat coming from the left rear tire area. And it smells like brakes. I'm thinking that caliper is stuck. What do you think?
Gary

Gary Drake
Yes it does may have introduced some dirt to piston
and seal when it is retracted not and uncommon event. One which I allways advise my customers about when not kitting or replace caliper.

Docfixit