- STARTER ONLY CLICKS

1996 GMC Jimmy

Engine Electrical problem
1996 GMC Jimmy 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 127xxx miles

My Jimmy has been sitting in our driveway for about 9 mos. I recently drove it over to my father's house to put on my winter rims/tires. When I got back home, the truck won't start. I only hear the start click, click, click. It does not turn over.

I've researched and want to get a concensus on items to check in priorities. I've read it could be the master relay, starter relay, oil sensor, starter, etc. The battery remains charged so there is enough voltage for it to crank. But, it will not.

BTW, I haven't replaced anything yet. Thank you for your kind help. This is going to be our winter vehicle since it's 4WD.
BLKelsey

No crank at all/nothing/nada: Could be the starter, starter relay, park and neutral switch and ignition switch assuming the battery and connections are good.

Correct. No crank at all. Battery connections at terminals are clean and tight and gound is firm at chassis. Connection tight at solenoid.

BLKelsey
Use digital multimeter across the battery posts, everything turned off, the generic spec for a fuul charge is 12.6 volts. Also, take reading across battery posts with key in the crank position, the reading should drop some but not below 9.6 volts, generic spec. Make sure all battery connections coming and going are clean and tight on both ends.

You can check circuits at the starter relay. Terminal 30 is hot all the time. Terminal 85 goes hot with the key in the crank position and is wired through the neutral switch. The purple wire at the starter solenoid should be hot with the key in the crank position. Any testing make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_gmc_jimmy_starter_circuit_1.jpg

What range of readings should I expect as acceptable when testing Terminal 30 & Terminal 85?

BLKelsey
The coil side of the relay should be somewhere between 40-80 ohms and the siwtch side should be infinite, no reading