OIL PRESSURE GUAGE

2004 GMC Envoy

2004 GMC Envoy 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

what does it mean when the oil presure guage goes to zreo? The suv has oil and is not making any unusual noises. I am afraid I am going to seize the engine. What is happening? I took it in and had the oil changed and thought that everything was OK but after driving 20 miles the guage went to zero again! Please give me an idea what to expect?/
Tom mcwilliams

Hi there tom mcwilliams and TY for the donation this is what keeps the site going

What you need to do here is use a mechanical gauge -remove the oil pressure switch and hook up the gauge start engine and record the reading if normal replace the oil pressure switch anormal readings could be the oil pump pressure relief valve is sticking if its engine bearings you'll be hearing knocking noises if it has excessive clearances

Normal reading at idle is 8-12psi at 2K rpm the pressure should read in between 40-60psi