VAN STARTING ROUGH/STALLING LOSS OF POWER

1991 GMC C2500

1991 GMC C2500 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 155000 miles

Hi I own a 1991 GMC Vandura 2500 my parents recently gave to me.

Since getting it, it has run fine, but a couple months ago my fuel gauge went out. First it started jumping around and showing very inaccurate fuel levels until recently it finally just stopped working all together and just sits at empty all the time even when I put 20 bucks of gas in it.
Now since that gauge has gone out Ive had a few more problems occur that seem pretty bad. The van ran really low on fuel a couple times to the point it almost ran out completely. Since that happened its had problems starting and driving.

When its started after sitting overnight or for a few hours it barely cranks over. It takes about 10 secs for the engine to start " wanting" to turn over. Then it finally starts, If my foot isnt on the gas it will stall. It will go to around normal rpms then drop and back up like a rollercoaster and it keeps doing this for a while. Its even started, then revving up when I put the pedal down and then lose power and drop rpms to almost dying or it does die. Kind of like a bogging feeling

After another 20secs or so of flooring the gas pedal trying to keep it from stalling it will go into what it seems is its normal idle. Then it seems to run fine. Once I put it into reverse the rpms will drop again so low that a few times its died just from that.
Now driving around it seems it doesnt have all its power. While driving with ur foot in a stationary position on the pedal it will sometimes just lose power and If I floor it, it usually regains some of its power and I can continue drinving normally until it happens again.

So Ive taken it to my local mechanic and they're stumped. I dont have too much money to throw around hoping someone can stumble on the problem either. So hopefully I can get a few good hinters and what to check next.

Btw so far have just had some vaccuum lines replaced and spark plugs and the fuel filter.

Thanks for the time,
Chris
Clunacy