EATING COOLANT; CAN'T FIND IT.

2000 GMC C1500

Engine Cooling problem
2000 GMC C1500 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 192K miles

2000 GMC impeccably maintained; syn oils. Eating about a quart of coolant every 2 weeks. NO water in the oil. Changed a seeping water pump 4 months ago. Still not improved. Can it be the throttle body? I see coolant lines going there? How many gaskets might there be on that throttle body to check?

--Bryant
ArmyAviator

Is this a 5.3 Liter engine? If you cant find any leaks, you may want to have the cooling system pressure tested to try to find it, or have the cooling system chemical tested for the prescence of exhaust gasses (blown head gasket)

Jack42
It is a 5.3L.

Do you think it could be @ the throttle body?

With a blown head gasket, wouldn't I have water in my eng oil?

ArmyAviator
It could be at the throttle body, you would need to pressure test or take it off to see if it is leaking. No, a blown head gasket can go into the combustion chamber and not ever contaminate the oil

Jack42
Hi, Jack. Thank you for your considerate reply. Other than using coolant like so much gatoraid, am I hurting my engine?

--Bryant

ArmyAviator
Its not real good for it, bu tI guess thta would also depend on what th eproblem really is. Lol I would have it taken care of ASAP, it sounds like you stay on top of th elevel, so thta is good, overheating does real damage

Jack42
Thanks, Jack.

It has never even come close to overheating. It runs really well, has 55psi of oil pressure and no water in oil.

I'll keep watching it. I can't resolve to stab another engine in it or repair the heads, if that's it, as it's a 2000 with 192K, but it still looks new and I'll just drive her and watch her.

: )

--Bryant

ArmyAviator