SIERRA BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH REPLACEMENT

1996 GMC C1500

I would like to get a detailed replacement instructions for replacing the brakelight switch on this truck. And possibly a diagram?

Thanks,
GWH
GWH

Disconnect neg battery cable.Remove retainer from brake pedal pin,remove switch bt unsnapping from pushrod,remove electrical connector.reverse to install

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_secureimgcontent_2.jpg

Jack42
Would removing the lower half of the dash and remove the two bolts that support the steering column give me better access to the switch?

Thanks,
GWH

GWH
It might, if you do that be careful of the small cable for the shift indicator, if you pull too hard it will break the indicator

Jack42
I removed the steering column. It opened up the area at the brakelight switch a lot. It wasn't hard at all. It's better than laying on your back with your head in the dash for an hour fumbling with the switch. Once the column was removed, it was a snap.I have come to find out that these model of trucks with this type of switch may quit working the brake lights and the driver not know it ! I didn't know until my wife was following me one day. I don't know how long it had been out.
Thanks for your help. I will get to the feedback asap.

GWH

GWH
Youre welcome, just happy your brake lights work again

Jack42