VOLTAGE REGULATION TO HEADLIGHTS...

1995 Geo Tracker

1995 Geo Tracker 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 179000 miles

There is a problem in my headlight electrical system, & I am starting to suspect the dimmer switch.

First of all, a voltmeter on the actual headlamp bulbs reveals a voltage identical to the battery (typically about 14.8v, as the alternator over powers to charge the battery). However, the bulbs say they're only rated to 12.8v. This makes me think that there should be some kind of voltage regulator between the battery & the bulb. The only thing that shows up on my electrical schematic is the light switch & dimmer switch, so my first question is:
******does the dimmer switch regulate voltage to the bulbs?

Also, the headlight that does not function correctly (indicitave of a ground issue), seems to have some sort of short, where regardless of whether the low beams or high beams are switched, both bulb filliments remain illuminated (and at a very very low level).
******would this also suggest a problem with the switch, or rather a problem in the wiring?

Thank you.
Colotracker