PROBLEMS SHIFTING

1992 Geo Tracker

1992 Geo Tracker 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 100000 miles

Hi,

I recently put in a new clutch into my 1992 Tracker, and everything works great except for one thing. It only shifts into 2nd, 4th, and Reverse. Since it's a 5 speed, plus Reverse, that means it is only shifting into the bottom gears. When I put it into 2nd, 4th, or reverse the wheels do move like normal, but I just cant get it into the top gears of 1st, 3rd, or 5th.

Any Ideas?

Thanks a million

-Mikey
Bhamgo

Hi bhamgo,

Thank you for the donation.

Check the gear shift cable installation. They are out of adjustment or something is blocking and preventing the gears from being shifted correctly.

Hey,

Thanks for the quick response. On my 1992 Tracker there is a direct shifter, not a gear shift cable. If you have any other ideas that would be great. : )

-Mikey

Bhamgo
Recheck the shifter installation. Ensure the bushes are seated correctly and the shifter lever is not reversely installed, ie front to rear.

1, What specific bushes are you talking about? What do they do, and where are they located?

2, Is it just the *one* bushing on the ned of the shifter, or are there multiple bushes to be concerned with?

3, I made a bushing to fit the end of the shifter, and it works, but is it possible that the original bushing that fell off is somehow jamming the shifter from being able to shifted into 1st, 3rd, and 5h gear?

4 What is the function of the bushing you're talking about?

Thanks a zillion

Bhamgo
Usually the bush at the end of the shifter would disintegrate if it is bad and it should not cause any problem.

I am not able to find anysuitable diagrams to show the bushes so would have to go by explanation.

At the point where the shifter is plugged into the trans, there should be another bigger bush for the shifter to seat. Check if it is in good condition. Is the shifter loose and have a lot of free travel?