INSTRUMENT CLUSTER OR VSS PROBLEM?

1993 Geo Prizm

1993 Geo Prizm 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 98K miles

So I bought this geo prizm with the speedmeter not working. The only time it would move is when I went on the freeway and it would shoot up to 70 then go back down to 0 once you slowed. Decided to try and fix it myself by cleaning the solder joints on the back of the speedometer by taking the instrument cluster apart. When I put it back together the speedomter started working but the O/D light started blinking after a few minutes on the road and the transmission isnt shifting right. The check engine light went on but when I turned the car off it went away and doesnt come back on. Took it to a transmission place and had the diagnostics read and it siad " vehicle speed sensor" and this list of solenoid things that werent working properly. My question is should I replace the instrument cluster or the VSS? I heard it could be the instrument cluster instead of the VSS.
Aae2288

Definitely sounds like faulty VSS to me, if cluster was at fault it would have nothing to do with tranny shifting issues.

Bluelightnin6
Ok thanks, is it easy to replace on your own or do I have to take it to a mechanic? And Autozone quoted me 166 dollars on just the sensor itself : ( is there any cheaper way to fix this?

Aae2288
The VSS is at the left front of the transaxle. It takes about an hour to replace it at a reputable repair shop, that is equal to approx. $80 labor fees. May shop elsewhere and find the sensor a bit cheaper.

Bluelightnin6