IGNITION REPLACEMENT

1992 Geo Prizm

1992 Geo Prizm 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 162000 miles

key will no longer turn ignition lock, need to replace ignition how do I get the lock out
Nzee

REMOVAL:
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Unscrew the retaining screws and remove the upper and lower steering column covers.
Remove the 2 retaining screws and remove the steering column trim.
Turn the ignition key to the ACC position.
Push the lock cylinder stop in with a small, round object (cotter pin, punch, etc.) and pull out the ignition key and the lock cylinder.
You may find that removing the steering wheel and the combination switch makes the job easier.
Loosen the mounting screw and withdraw the ignition switch from the lock housing.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_1_14.jpg

INSTALLATION:
When reinstalling, position the switch so that the recess and the bracket tab are properly aligned. Install the retaining screw.
Make sure that both the lock cylinder and the column lock are in the ACC position. Slide the cylinder into the lock housing until the stop tab engages the hole in the lock.
Make certain the stop tab is firmly seated in the slot. Turn the key to each switch position, checking for smoothness of motions and a positive feel. Remove and insert the key a few times, each time turning the key to each switch position.
Reinstall the combination switch and the steering wheel if they were removed.
Install the steering column trim and the upper and lower column covers.
Connect the negative battery cable.

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!

I have the new Ignition (Cylinder & Keys) unit but I cannot get the cylinder in ACC position. Not turning at all.

Please help, how do I replace it?

Gcardozo
You will need to drill out the center if it will not turn

Bluelightnin6