OVERHEATING QUESTION

1995 Geo Metro

Engine Cooling problem
1995 Geo Metro 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 106000 miles

My Geo overheated while idleing in the driveway to the point that steam started coming out of the coolant overflow vent.

Shut off engine and inspected after cooling. Found fan blade off center and fan motor slanted cockeyed in bracket. Fan would not rotate on shaft & one blade broken. To my surprise, I pulled out the battery hold down plate and bolt from the bottom of the fan shroud.

The fan was working at the last oil change (every 3K miles, check by letting motor run until fan comes on).

Most recent repair work (3 weeks ago) was a headlight circuit rewire at my regular (7+yr) mechanic shop. They had to remove the battery to get access to the driver side headlight circuit. At the garage, no one could " remember" whether they had removed the battery during the wiring repair. The did offer to replace the fan motor etc if I bought the parts. This I did but was disappointed becuase to this point the shop had passed every honesty test that had come up. Most of my driving is freeway so it is very possible the fan could be broken for 3 weeks and not cause a problem.

Thats the background.

Did this overheating event cause any other possible damage to the engine that I should look out for or check for? I don't know the history of these engines.

Thanks for the help.
Djeffreyblack