FUEL PROBLEM

1999 Ford Contour • 128,000 miles

This 99 ford contour has a 2.5 engine. When it was running it would bog down when you gave it gas at like 35 miles an hour or more. Then would eventually stall and not restart right away. But if you waited five minutes or so it would restart. It finally died and had to be towed. I put a new fuel pump in it thinking that it was bad. The car did start again after new fuel pump but will only idle. If you give it any gas at all it dies out. Fuel pressure is at 10 pounds when at idle. At least with new pump it started but cannot give it any gas. I been told since there is no return line on fuel pump that the computer controls the fuel pressure. What would next step be. I would be greatful for any help. Thank you so much for your time.
Scotth1971

Check fuel pressure it should be 45-60 psi with key on engine off if anything below check regulator and or installation of pump and whether it is the correct one