EMERGENCY/PARKING BRAKE

Ford Windstar

1. 1998 Ford Windstar 3.8L
2. 55,000mi
3. Automatic Transmission
4. 2 wheel drive
5. Strange sounds-
6. Fluid leaks
7. Past repair history if applicable:
New brake lines installed in the front
Rear Brakes- New shoes, drums, springs, passenger side has new hub
Front Brakes- New pads and rotors
Emergency Brake- New cables (front and both rear), handle checked for proper adjustment (it is)
Transmission- New transmission put in, April 2007 (by transmission shop)
New fluids- Transmission, Oil, Brake, Antifreeze
What we know needs replacing- Power steering pump
Background: received this car for " free" from family. They did not want to pay to get the transmission fixed. Prior to the transmission problem the van was not used very often. It was primarily driven on the highway in Syracuse, NY (LOTS of salt on the roads). Therefore, after it would go out for a spin in high salt areas, it would sit in the driveway for long periods. My husband believes this is the reason for lots of problems with the wear items.

As you can see my husband has put considerable effort into getting this Windstar up to safety inspection standards. The last thing on the list, is the one causing him the most trouble- The freaking emergency brake!

Upon replacing all of those parts for the brakes when the emergency brake is engaged the van still proceeds to go as if the brake is not even on. When he tries to go in reverse the emergency brake does its job and holds the vehicle in place.

His last thought, and option I suppose, is to replace the adjuster. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Hdh500