CHECK ENGINE LIGHT"DOES NOT" COME ON

Ford Windstar

I have a 1998 ford windstar, 3.8 liter v-6 with 201,000 miles on it. I took it to get an inspection and it failed because the check engine light " DID NOT" come on when the key was turned in the ignition with all of the other lights that light up when the key is turned. The tech said the 02 sensors and egr valve were at fault for this. I replaced the 02 sensors and egr valve, pcv valve, some broken vaccum lines and air filter. After replacing the sensors he specified, the light still doesn't light up when you turn the ignition key. The engine also kind of stumbles or chugs repeatedly throughout the rpm range above idle when the throttle is held. Also when you turn the heat setting to upper vents and floor vents and it's idling, the engine surges about every 4 seconds. Please help. Thank you.
Jim beam

Sounds like you spent a chunk of change, apparently you may as well have just opened the window and threw it out while you were driving. So the check light never comes on at all? When it's scanned do codes come up? Why would your tech replace what he did and tell you it was the problem? Only if tech was able to get codes refering to those items and even then to tell you they were the reason for the light not working, I would set a new record for the 100 yard dash the other way. The light I believe has a fuse, or the bulb could be bad, there is a series of tests to determine why the light will not come on if the aforementioned items, fuse and bulb, are good. Could be wiring, connectors, even the pcm could be at fault.
I'd demand some sort of refund and get it worked on elsewhere, take it to a Ford dealer, or at least a local reliable shop with experience doing this stuff

TaurusWheel