BRAKE LIGHT QUESTION

Ford Windstar

I have a 2002 Windstar, 3.8 L with 78,000 miles, lately my brake lights stay on sometimes while parked and I have to reach down and lift pull the brake pedal up a little bit. THe last 2 nights, they have come on during the night, after the car has been sitting 4-5 hours. Is this an electrical problem or some type of switch or fuse?
Netaden

Do your brake lights immediately come on with the slightest touch of the brake pedal? From the factory, my 99 Taurus did, in fact it was so sensitive that driving down the highway with the cruise on, if we hit a bump right it would disengage the cruise, there is an adjustment with the brake rod you can do, the dealer reset mine so there was a tiny bit more movement before the switch engaged, if that's not your problem, most likely the brake switch just needs to be replaced, relatively simple, I believe pretty much an electrical connector and a hairpin clip.

TaurusWheel