BATTERY LIGHT COMES ON

2003 Ford Windstar

2003 Ford Windstar 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 81000 miles

I have a 2003 Windstar and the battery light will come on intermittently. It will run fine. You stop and restart and it will clear. The battery and alternator were replaced last year. I have yet to be able to catch it where I can take a volt-ohm meter to it. Is the alternator failing again? The last one just completely died. It didn't give any warning.
Mountaineer1977

It may be going out. Did you use a high quality replacemnet or a less expensive unit? The chaper ones are exactly that. Cheaper. First check all connections at the alt and battery to be sure they are clean and tight, this can cause intermittemt charging issues. If it continues and all connections are good, it sounds like the alt

Jack42
It was from Advance. It was the only one in stock so it was running about the same price as the other stores. I have done a quick check on the connections but not good one. Will try that one next.

Mountaineer1977
I redid the connections. I thought it helped but it came on again. I checked the voltage at the battery with the alternator light on, it was 14.5v. I restarted the vehicle, light went away. It was putting out 12.5v with the heater, lights, etc running but no light. Any ideas?

Mountaineer1977
Sounds like the regulator in the alt may be bad. The light may be coming on due to overcharging (almost 15 volts). Be sure the ground on the engine is clean and tight

Jack42