ELECTRONIC MODULES

2002 Ford Windstar

2002 Ford Windstar 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 88900 miles

I recently had a brake light out. It needed a new electronic module for $500 which I had the Ford dealership install. Now the (brakes. ABS, traction control) lights come on which requires a new module for $800, The rear doors which are electrically operated don't work and require new modules for $1350 and the keyless entry doesn't work and requires $250 to fix. I'm just a poor man and can't afford to fix every electronic module and switch in the car. Why are they all failing and with such shoddy components does Ford think that I will be loyal to Ford?

Does the electronic module have anything to do with the actual braking, traction contol, or ABS operation or does it just turn the lights on (in this case faulty) i.E. Do I HAVE to fix it?
Startnmartn

You are not alone, many Windstars have problems, especially the ABS systems, follow this thread, look for the NTHSA phone number and file a complaint, if enough of you do, there should be a recall, if you do any work, save the reciepts if there is a recall, Ford will reimburse you.
http://www.2carpros.com/forum/2003-ford-windstar-abs-c1185-trouble-code-vt49767.html?highlight=

Merlin2021
I'm not convinced that this being fixed is absolutely necessary. I told the Ford dealership to fix my brakes, traction control or ABS because the warning lights came on. Instead they want to fix the component that turns on the warning lights. I can live with the warning lights on and if the lights are the real problem --- to h with them.

If I can't get my car inspected or I face a negligent liability case or brake failure then that's a different story. The $930 failure almost doubles the $500 brake light.

Startnmartn
What I am telling you, is that Windstars have electrical problems, and right now Ford doesnt want to acknowledge that, that would put them on the hook for the repairs, follow the link, and call NTHSA at 1-888-327-4236 and file a complaint.

Merlin2021
I will file a complaint but the real question is ---- do I have no other choice rather than to fix it. The car brakes and drives perfectly normal, and the warning lights only comes on intermittantly, sometimes right away, sometimes on long trips not at all.

I can't imagine I have to fix it if it's only broken some of the time. (About 50-50)

Startnmartn
The real problem is we don't know what the problem is! Some of these vans have had fires, most don't, try unplugging the pressure switch on the master and jumping the plug with a piece of wire.

Merlin2021
I had gas gauge not working; central locking not working except driver door and all rear lights out (brakes, turn, running lights, courtesy lights, etc.). Various repair places including Ford dealer said to replace fuel sensor, replace 4 separate door lock motors, etc. Ford dealer did the recall repair for cruise control - did nothing for other problems. Took my car home after their bill would be almost $700 and they did NOT test the Rear Electronic Control Module. Found the correct one on line used - ordered and installed in about 10 minutes (Ford said 3 hours). Everything works again.

The brake lights, etc. Are a safety issue and Ford should repair these defective modules. They refuse so far.

Does the electronic module have anything to do with the actual braking, traction contol, or ABS operation or does it just turn the lights on (in this case faulty) i.E. Do I HAVE to fix it?[/Quote]

Seaslug
You are truly one of the lucky ones!

Merlin2021
My abs and brake light stays on and would like t know if they got a recall on the electronic module for my 2001 windstar.

Herbmoscardelli
Go to autozone web site and look up your car. Recalls and tsb's are listed there.

Merlin2021