1999 Ford Windstar

1999 Ford Windstar 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 204000 miles

I am trying to change the starter on my 1999 windstar. I have both bolts loose and all wires detached but it will not budge. What do I need to so?

Hello -

According to the directions for removal once you remove the bolts you lower it. Are you sure you have all of the bolts out.

Next if so, take a hammer and tap on the side of it. It may be lodged in the housing.

You have 204K on the vehicle so it also may be corroded some. Spray some lubricant around and let it soak. Then tap with a hammer.

If you need to get back with me please be specific on your vehicle model, if it is just the Windstar or the LX, SE or SEL and the engine size in liter and the 8th digit of your VIN.

Removal & Installation
Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove starter bolts and lower starter. Remove protective caps and disconnect wiring from starter solenoid. Remove starter. To install, reverse removal procedure. Tighten bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS.