REAR TAIL LIGHT OUT - NOT BULB OR FUSE

1998 Ford Windstar

1998 Ford Windstar 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 67000 miles

Howdy, I have a 1998 Windstar LX with a rear tail light out, just the running light, brake, siginal, & reverse lights work fine. I checked the bulb and it's fine as is the fuse. While visiting in my hometown I stopped by my old mechanic's shop, he scanned it with a SnapOn scanner and looked up the code on his computer system, I don't know the code but it said I had to replace the tail lamp module? Or something like that. He told me it was behind the center console but when I got home and took the bottom part of that out I can see nothing but the heating/air duct system. Do you know where this *module* is? He told me there are two, one for the front parking/running lights, one for the rear. Thankyou for your assistance.
8lugnuts

With the help of my old mechanic I found the REM (Rear Electronic Module) behind the jack bracket on the passenger side rear of the van.
As fate has it my co-worker has a 1998 LX Windstar with a blown head gasket & trans and is getting rid of it to charity, but he said I can take any part I want from it! Problem is, his is a slightly different LX than mine, it is a Northwood LX model, and when I took the jack panel off his van(which is different than mine) there is nothing behind it and no removeable bracket...so I'm almost back to square one.

Anyone know where I might start looking for this big boxy module on a Nortwood LX?

The sticker on this thing states:
"This is a programmable part"
do you know if I can take this module somewhere to be re-programmed?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/272959_REM_1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/272959_REM_2_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/272959_REM_3_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/272959_REM_4_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/272959_REM_5_1.jpg

8lugnuts
**stop press**there is another module? GEM generic electronic module. Behind dash left side of steering column. The data lines from this module only go to the turn signals at the rear? And front park/turn signals? Have you got a feed to the the light that is out? I think it is likely you have a break in the brown live wire to the lamps both lives go to a connector behind left kick panel. I don't think it is anything to do with a control module. Simply a break in the live wire to the light that is out. Try wiring a live from a light that is working to it?

I have checked the wiring diagram for the ABS/TC module and cannot find any output wires to the rear lights?

DESCRIPTION & OPERATION
Vehicle has 2 module communications networks. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and Anti-Lock Brake System/Traction Control (ABS/TC) module (if equipped with traction control) are connected to the multiplex communications network through a pair of twisted wires or BUS. The BUS network is also referred to as Standard Corporate Protocol (SCP). The BUS consists of (+) circuit No. 914 and a (-) circuit No. 915. The air bag diagnostic monitor and all other optional modules, the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) and Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) control module (on models not equipped with traction control), are connected to the ISO 9141 diagnostic communications network through a single wire (circuit No. 70). Both networks are connected to the Data Link Connector (DLC). This article is used to diagnose BUS and ISO communications network circuit faults. For module locations, see COMPONENT LOCATIONS table.
DESCRIPTION
The 4-wheel Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) is designed to allow the vehicle to stop in the shortest possible distance while maintaining improved steering control under most conditions. Some models are equipped with traction control, which is integral with the anti-lock brake system.
ABS system consists of an Anti-Lock Brake Control Module (ABCM), Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU), 4 wheel speed sensors and toothed sensor rings, brake light relay, ABS and BRAKE warning lights, fluid level switch, brake on/off switch, and traction control switch. The ABCM and HCU are packaged in one unit identified as Electronic Hydraulic Control Unit (EHCU). The traction control valve block is 6" (152 mm) long, has 4 outlet ports and uses M12 (6 mm) tub nuts on tubes going to master cylinder.
NOTE: For more information on brake system, see appropriate DISC & DRUM article.

ABS/TC Module
OPERATION
When brakes are applied, fluid under pressure is transmitted through 4 normally open solenoid valves located inside Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) to wheels. If Anti-Lock Brake Control Module (ABCM) senses a wheel is about to lock, based on input from wheel speed sensor, normally open solenoid valve is energized closed (pulsated) for affected wheel. This prevents fluid from entering brake circuit for affected wheel. The ABCM looks at sensor signal from affected wheel. If affected wheel is still decelerating, ABCM opens solenoid valve (pulsates), returning fluid back to HCU. When affected wheel comes back up to speed, ABCM returns solenoid valve to normal open condition, allowing fluid to affected wheel.
The ABCM monitors electromechanical components of brake system. A malfunction of Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) will cause ABCM to inhibit system operation. ABS warning light will be illuminated on instrument panel. Normal power assisted braking will remain operational.
When ignition is placed in RUN position, ABCM will perform a self-check on ABS electrical system by illuminating ABS warning light for 2-3 seconds. When vehicle speed reaches 4 MPH, valves and motor will be briefly powered to ensure operation. During vehicle operation, ABCM monitors all electrical ABS functions and some hydraulic operations.
Malfunction of anti-lock brake system will cause anti-lock brake module to shut off or inhibit the system. Loss of hydraulic fluid in brake master cylinder reservoir will disable anti-lock system.
COMPONENT LOCATIONS
Anti-Lock Control Module (ABCM) & Hydraulic Control Module (HCU)
ABCM is located under battery tray in left front corner of engine compartment.

Dave H
The REM thingy was buggin me so I looked around and found that the 1999 windstar SE ans SEL models had them fitted? None of the 89 models have them and the 99 LX model doesn't. So if ya looking to buy one, those are the models you need to look for. Also i'm sure someone can reprogram your old one. Looking into the modles with the rear module. It does indeed control the lights. And there is a module to control the fronts? It is possible this module is broken. But I would check the connections and output's before replacing the part? Could be costly even for a reprogram?

Dave H
The scanner returned a code indicating that the REM needs to be replaced. It is a generic solution since the module could be re-programmed but it needs to be " fixed" either way. While I had the module exposed and still plugged in I started pulling the plugs(there are five), when I pulled one of them the rear tail parking light which is working went out, another one turned out the courtesy lights. If I can find the REM in my co-worker's Northwood LX I can at at least try it, problem is, where is it? It's not where mine is. Same van, same year, same model (LX vs Northwood LX) why the heck does Ford do this!
Mike

8lugnuts
Ok here is what Dave H is trying to say. Your windstar is a late model and the other one is an early model so it doesn't have one. You need to find another late model one that is closer to or a 99 so it will also have one. I had a 98 early model and it did not have one it used the GEM instead. SO you should check with you local dealer for reprogramming or find one in a salvage yard to find a used one. Hope this helps.

Racefan966
Racefan, thanks for that info. I did not want to go tearing my friend's Northwood LX apart only to find nothing.

I'm going to check with the local Ford dealer 1st to see if this thing can be tested/re-programmed. If not I'm heading to the junky.

Do you know if these REM modules are *compatible* across the entire model line of Windstars for '98? How about '99?

Thanks again,
Mike (8lugnuts)

8lugnuts
Thanks Racefan. Yes that is what I was trying to say. It does seem that they are interchangeble across the range. But i'm sure ford will tell you this. I'm guessin a junky is gonna be your cheapest option on this fix. You will need to be looking for a 99 SE/SEL model. The LX does'nt have one?

Rear Electronic Module (REM)

REM is connected to SCP network. REM mainly controls the rear portion of vehicle. REM supports other locking features for all passenger doors and Right or Left Power Sliding Door Module (RPSDM/LPSDM) and liftgate. When Power Sliding Door (PSD) operation is requested, REM determines if necessary preconditions are met, and signals the appropriate PSD module for PSD operation (as equipped).

Dave H
I just discovered it's a '99. I just got it from my sister, who told me it was a '98, when I checked the title I saw it was a '99. I dropped the module off at a local used autoparts yard, biggest around here, fully computerized etc.

The guy there told me he's been looking but has not found one that matches mine yet. He asked me if the sliding doors on mine are electric, they are not, manual only, I don't think the motorized doors were available in '99. He told me my REM is showing that it's for a van optioned with the electric doors? Don't know how this would be possible unless his system is just spitting up the wrong data. I hope he finds one soon!
Apparently there are several different versions of this module depending on how your van was optioned.

Mike (8lugnuts)

8lugnuts
I have checked this out for you. On the 99SE and SEL models there are 2 types fitted #1 without elec sliding doors and without anti-theft built in, #2 with elec sliding doors and with anti theft built in, the parts interchange over the models. So if your vehicle has no elec doors then you need the first module.

#1 part #YF2Z13B524AA

It's the same part # for year 2000/01/02/03. As long as you have no power doors/anti theft fitted

hope this helps

Dave H
My van is an LX, not SE or SEL. My van has anti-theft system but the sliding doors are manual, not power. I have taken the part to 2 junk yards, both state my part# XF2T-13B524-BF is for an LX with power sliding doors. They both must be accessing the same computer reference system, but that's what they tell me. Both guys also told me Ford could have put the wrong module in my van, but it's worked for almost 9yrs? Since it's programmable I am guessing they could custom program each module for the options specific to the vehicle.
Still, it seems this problem is confusing everyone. I'll bet if I took it to a Ford dealer they would figure it out pretty fast but I'm not ready for that yet.$$$

8lugnuts
Page 1 of 3