SC :: NO START ::

1993 Ford Thunderbird

138,000 miles auto

after doing my headgaskets the car wouldnt start, found out that I might have crushed the wire that goes from the starter to the relay on the fender while I changed my engine mounts, jumped the starter with a new wire, now the car cranks from the ignition switch but no start.

i could hear my fuel pump kick on when I turn the switch, I get fuel at the fuel rail just dont know how much psi, I sort of checked an injector with a test light and I didnt see it blink, maybe im thinking the wire from the ecm that controls the injectors maybe got crushed too? Anyway to bypass the ecm to start the car?

also it started it about two times but ran really rough wanting to shut off, I was getting between 5-10 hg vacuum somestimes zero, im supposed to have 20 at idle, would the car run with a big vacuum leak?

thanks alot
93sc

First thing I would do is check the wiring that you said may be damaged, you want to verify that they are good and not damaged before you do anything else.

A car will run with a vaccum leak how well dpends on the car. Car will also start with a bad injector again how well depends on the car.

Try this pour a shot of gas into the throttle but before you start the car turn the ignition key on and off about 5 times to prime the fuel pump.

Your next step if the wiring checks out will be to have the fuel pressure tested. Car not running I believe should be around 30 to 45 psi's. Problem just may be fuel related.

If the car runs at least a few seconds after you pour the shot in the throttle this at least gives you an idea that the problem is fuel related. You just have to verify that it is.

Sounds like you have a mess on your hands Will try to help were we can.

Keep us posted

Richard

Poet042005
Thanks for the reply, the times I started the car was by pouring gas in the throtle body and one time it kept running even after the gas evaporated, also it doesn't let me check for codes, so I think the ecm might be on limp mode I will check the wiring next.

93sc
Let me no what you find would love to know. Im just curious how you may have damaged the wiring. I've done quite a few heads and from what I recall the wiring is to the side of the engine compartment out of the way.

I am a fellow T-bird fan myself.

Poet042005
Man im not good with electrical stuff, the previous owner did a lot of weird wiring himself, alarm and all that, the car is a wiring mess, everywhere I read it says the ecm should be inside the kickpanel in the passanger compartment, well my ecm is in the trunk just laying there.

I looked at the wires under the hood and I didnt see anything out of the ordinary. Im kind of going crazy trying to fix this thing, I called a mobile repair company to see if they could come look at it and they told me $120 minimum just to look at it. Thats crazy, I disconnected the ecm for a minute and car still cranked normal!, Is this normal?

93sc
Got this electrician to stop by, he completely removed the cheap aftermarket alarm the previous owner installed which was a mess, and by squirting fuel in the throttle body got the car started immediately he told me that the car had bad gas, it smells rotten.

Seems that the car sat for a while and the old gas didnt completely burn off, he said that it sounded like it was running on the wrong octane and that's why it was running bad, also the supercharger bypass kept opening and closing really fast? No clue

tomorrow im going to drop the tank and clean it out and while im there I think im going to change the fuel pump

93sc
Thanks for letting me no the scoop. I got another question for ya. Now that the car is running when it sits for a few hours dose it start right back up for you. And also before it started did it ever choke through the throttle while turning it over.

Poet042005
No when it sits for a while it wont start back up, have to crank it for a while, yes it did choke through the throttle.

Yesterday I didnt drop the tank, I jumped the fuel pump by the fp relay harness and disconnected the line at the fuel filter, pumped all the gas out got some seafoam in the tank and pumped some more out, it was dirty but not that much.

Now I have to get rid of the alarm light while im cranking, have to find the keyless entry code, and a huge vacuum leak somewhere

93sc
I have a 1994 t-bird that has a 93 Trans a 1990 engine 3.8 with rewired harnesses and vacuum lines all configured I have the exact same problem. Because the car was a personal project I decided to put together I thought it was just something I miss-configured but since you have the same car and I'm sure the same wiring diagram (except the vacuum diagram) I guess the issue is not a miss-configuration. I have not had time to work with my car but I flushed the tank and change fuel pump, pressure regulator filter but no luck. I'm gonna go buy a code scanner when I get time (my children misplaced my last one GO figure) and also I'm gonna check my fuel pressure the pressure could still be outta specs. I have not change the injectors yet. Last step of course if I don't get any error codes from the computer will be to change the EEC (electronic engine computer) I will keep ya up dated once I finish all my diagnosis.

Poet042005
Cool thanks, I bought a code scanner from autozone but for some reason I cant read codes, I also tried the paper clip method to read codes but doesnt work either, I heard the ecm goes to limp mode when something isnt working right. I resealed all the intercooler connections and ill update when I try to start it tomorrow

93sc
If the engine computer has no error codes stored insidethe scanner should still read code 12 which means it does not detect any errors.
You'll need to start the car again and let it run for and let it worm up before it will record any possible fault codes in the system.

Did you disconnect the ecm, if so that may have erased any codes that may have been stored in the computer, also does the check engine lite come on once you turn the key to the on position.

Thank you for the constant reply I really apreciate it.

Richard

Poet042005