VIBRATION AT 55+ MPH - WHY?

1955 Ford Tempo

1993 Ford Tempo 2.3 engine 78,000 miles. I just had the rack and pinion replaced, new tires put on the car, and the entire front end rebuilt (except for my ti rods that the mechanic said was okay, but ball joints, control arms, bushings, etc) and an alignment and the car is light years better then it was before the work was done. However, when I approach high speeds (55+MPH) I still get a bad vibration in the front seat and steering wheel and I don't know what the problem is since the front end is tight now. It also seems like im losing a little bit of traction on the highway, like the car shakes a little bit. At sub 55MPH speeds none of this occurs however. Should I check the rear end or could it be something related to the rack and pinion steering unit (That was done by my dad on his own, not at a shop like the front end parts.) I am guessing its in the rear end but I'm not quite sure.

Thanks.
Link00seven

Start by having all the tires rebalanced. There isnt too much in the rear that will do that, especially if the steering wheel is vibrating. Were the outer tie rod ends the originals?

Jack42
I'm not sure, but if there are four tie rods I believe two are original and two are not. The mechanic told me that only one of the tie rods wasnt tight, but it wasnt something I should have to worry about right now.

The tire rebalance sounds like a good idea. I also want to have them check my alignment again because at high speeds I still pull a bit to the left. If its not the rear end then what you said about the tie rods or my tire balance is probably the culpret. I'm going to take it back up there tomorrow and tell them somethings still messed up. I also believe I need new shocks - could that cause a problem with vibration?

Thanks for your input. Anything else you can add is greatly appreciated.

Link00seven
Talk to the shop that did the work, explain the vibration asn ask them to recheck the work. It sounds like a tire balance problem.

Son of a gun Jack, I walk away from the computer for a few minutes. : D

Sorry Paul. Didnt mean to muscle in on you

Jack42
Okay, I will take it back to them tomorrow and have them recheck their work and check the tire balance.

Thank you for the help.

Link00seven
No not hardly, I was in the middle of the response and had a task to take care of, I came back and finished. And there you were.

What is interesting that you pulled out was the outer tie rods. In my thinking. You don't do an alignment if there is ANY play. A month from now they play may surface strongly. And it needs an alignment again : roll: I recommend getting the tie rod changed and having the alignment performed again. For Free.

Besides,
It shows we take care of the Donors.

It was just the tires, that was the problem. I got them re-balanced and now the car rides good.

Thanks for the help.

Link00seven