IT RAN, NO IT WON'T START

1993 Ford Tempo

1993 Ford Tempo 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 89,785 miles

I have had this intermittant hesitation/stalling problem for a few months now. When it first showed up, it was suggested that I change the fuel filter, which hadn't been touched since I owned the car from 1994 purchased used with about 12K. This change seemed to help for a bit but the problem has shown up again. Most of the time, when the car stalled, it would restart without a problem. On a couple of occassions when the car stalled, it wouldn't restart for a long while, once it was 24 hours before it would fire up again. At present the car will not start. Usually when I go to start it up you get the lights on the intrument panel & the tone for the seat belt as well as a whirring sound, I assume is the fuel pump. Hearing this, I KNOW that the car will start. If I do not hear this whirring sound, it won't start. I haven't been hearing this whirring sound lately on my attempts to start, and it will not start. Today I purchased an Equus brand code reader for Fords @ just under $30. I plugged it into the EEC Test plug and noted the generated codes under KOEO mode. I got two codes, #116 & #543. The first code from the manual said that the coolant temp was higher/lower than expected. Well the car's been sitting for the last week, what did it expect the coolant temp to be! ; 0) Anyway, the second code said " Fuel pump secondary circuit fault". I'm trying to find out exactly what that indicates. Is my fuel pump shot? Is there anything else I can check before getting it towed to a mechanic? Any help provided would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Tracey
Btracey1506

What you need to do is perform a fuel pressure check and comeback with the readings.

I haven't been able to do a pressure check but I don't think it is necessary. I was able to isolate the area where I think the problem is, between the fuel pump and ignition. The roleover switch and circuit tested fine. I lifted the rear seat and noticed (4) wires goint thru a rubber grommet down toward the tank. There didn't seem to be any power getting to these wires. I rigged up a jumper wire from the battery to these wires. When I did so, I noticed that the pump worked. I was then able to start the car and it ran until I turned it off. Disconnecting the jumper, the car wouldn't restart. In my " Hanes" Repair Manual, Chapter 12, 1992-94 engine wiring diagram; 4cylinder there is a block labeled Constant Contgrol Relay Module that encompasses 5 relays and 1 control. There is a relay labeled Fuel Pump Relay. I believe this is where my problem is but I don't know exactly where to look for this module cluster, if indeed it is a cluster or the fuel pump relay itself. Any ideas where this may be located?

Btracey1506
The reason for the fuel pressure check: I have had this intermittant hesitation/stalling problem for a few months now. When it first showed up, it was suggested that I change the fuel filter, which hadn't been touched since I owned the car from 1994 purchased used with about 12K. This change seemed to help for a bit but the problem has shown up again. Most of the time, when the car stalled, it would restart without a problem.eck was this.

The CCRM is located at item no. 9 see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fuel_pump_relay_8.jpg

Thanks much on the location of theCCRM! I have spent the last few days and the weekend trying to find one. I visited a " U-Pull-It" yard only to not find what I was looking for. I think I have found a lead on one thru Baxter's Auto Parts, which has to be ordered from the manufacturer. I suspect this may be the culprit because I was able to jump power from the battery to the fuel pump and did notice the pump was working. After hearing the pump come on, I was able to start the car and it ran until I turned it off and disconnected the jumper to the pump from the battery. I tried to restart without the jumper and it was a no go. I hope to have the new CCRM in a few days. I have removed the old unit and removed it's cover and it seems to be a solidstate type of unit. I can't tell what is used for the fuel pump relay in it's arrangement. I'm willing at this point to take the $ hit and hopefully cure the problem. Thank you again for the picture & location information!
Best Regards,
Tracey

Btracey1506
I think I have the exact same problem. Real nice troubleshooting ! I'll try to get that module in a scrap yard somewhere !

Thanks !

Dan

Dannyr2009