POWER STEERING FLUSH??

Ford Taurus

Hello, I have a 1998 Taurus SE with 116,000 miles. The power steering fluid is very dark colored and smells burned. I would like to flush and refill the unit but I cannot find anywhere that says how to do it. I have the proper fluid to use and need to do it myself as I cannot afford the $70-$100 mechanics want because I am a student scraping money for school. Any idea where to find directions with pictures? Or just any sort of explanation would work for me at this point. Thanks for any help!
Running_guy08

The easiest way for you to do this is to buy a tool that sucks out fluid. Advance auto or any auto parts store will carry one. OR use a turkey baster. Suck out the fluid in the reservior and refill with clean dextron III trans fluid. Run it to circlulate and repeat several times. Do this procedure again after a week, and see how it looks then.

IF your daring, you can pull the return line and put it into a container, run the engine while dumping fresh trans fluid in the reservior. This takes 2 people, one to start and stop the motor and the other to pour. Don't let it suck air, or you'll create problems.