CAN A SCAN TOOL READ CODES IF NO ENGINE LIGHT ON?

Ford Taurus

I have a 94 Taurus 3.0 with 144,000 miles. I do not have a scan tool, but I stopped in at my local Advance Auto Parts store to have them scan for codes. I was told that it was useless to run a scan if no engine light is showing since it wouldn't give them any codes. I was under the impression that there still could be some codes to read even though the engine light is not on or am I worng? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Jakin

Trans codes can be in the continous memory and not show up as check engine light, also there can be koer, key on engine running codes, that will not set the check engine light, buy yourself the scan tool for your car, eec4 system, costs around 30 bucks, easy to use plus there are a couple of other tests you can run using it

TaurusWheel
I will put the scan tool on my wish list when I have enough money for it, thanks.

Jakin