STARTING

2005 Ford Taurus

2005 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

My 2005 Ford Taurus will not start until after the key is turned on for 3-5 seconds - you can hear the fuel pump engage during this time. After you pump the accelarator it will eventually crank, but when it does all the gauges on the dash vibrate for about 5-6 seconds. They eventually smooth out and operate properly. I am also getting erratic messages from the display - for example - the MILES TO EMPTY message said 180 - the next time it started it read 220. The car runs great once it gets started. I've checked for parts such as a fuel pressure regulator - their doesn't seem to be one for this model (I can find one for earlier models) - it may be called something else now. I've also looked to see about a check valve - I can't find one of those either (maybe it comes with a new fuel pump?) - Even if turns out to be the regulator or check valve - what explains the gauges vibrating? I am at a loss - please help!
Hogman