STALLING

2004 Ford Taurus

2004 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 94000 miles

I have been having trouble with my car for a few months, its not every day, but it is becoming more frequent in the last two weeks. This morning while driving to work on the interstate I used my blinker to change lanes, the car jerked a few times and all lights on the dash came on like it had stalled, but then a few seconds later everything came back on. This happened 3 or 4 times on my way in this morning. Each time was not when changing lanes, but I'm on the interstate. As I got closer to work, I slowed down to cross some tracks and the " check brake system" light came on and the car stalled. In the past I've never had trouble when using the blinker, but my car acts like it stalls on the freeway, dash and lights will go out, but then a few seconds later the lights come back on and a few more seconds the gauges on the dash begin to work again. My car has stalled while turning through an intersection and so while trying to turn the steering wheel, I'm also trying to put my car in neutral to start it up again.
Tvanslyke

First, if your check engine light is comming on, get the code(s) read, Autozone does it for free, or buy a scantool, they can be bought fairly cheaply. Look at the freeze frame data, and it can tell you what happened during the event. How good are you at testing electronics with DVOM? Last, check all the connectors you can, make sure they are snapped together well, then look at all the ground wires and cables. Most are at the A pillar, in front of the doors, and on the engine. You will ned to remove the plastic trim panels in ront of the doors on the floor(kickpanels)
Ford attaches grounds on both sides at those locations.

Merlin2021
Thank you for your response, and I appreciate the time that you have taken for me.
The engine light does come on, in fact all the lights in the dash come on (my guess is thats due to the quick stalling or what I'm thinking is stalling.I guess maybe the engine really doesnt shut off, at least while I'm not on the interstate, cause I don't have to put the car in neutral to restart it), the car loses power or speed and the digital read out says 'check brake system'; but then everything comes back on
I have taken my car to Auto Zone several times right after an episode, they have hooked it up to run a diagnostic, but no codes come up. I will check what you have suggested, maybe there is a loose connection somewhere.
I don't know what a DVOM is, my dad has a few tools to use to check different systems on a vehicle, I'll see if I can get him to check it out for me too.
Thank you!

Tvanslyke
OK, I would suggest Dad checks the ignition and multifunction swtches, both can cause this, but the multifunction switch also is used to turn on the turn signals.

Merlin2021