SEL 3.0L DOHC TRASMISSION TROUBLE

2003 Ford Taurus

To start, this is probably unrelated. My A/C started acting funny the day before the problem. The air would blow super ice cold at idle and up to about 40 mph then go warm and humid like the air outside. I cahnged the drive belt and the tensioner because the tensioner was loose.

Now to the real problem. I was driving around 75 mph and went to pass a car to get over for the off ramp. The car started to go into overdrive and then there felt like a small power drain, not quite a jerk, but a little like a jerk and then engine power came back for a few seconds and then it seemed as though the transmission wouldn't engage. I pulled over and cracked the hood and there was a weird smell, not overpowering but faint, kind of like oil burning on the head from spilling after filling, but a little different too. When I put th car in gear you can feel a pressure change and a little rock, but when you hit the gas it only revs free. This is true for R, D, 1 and 2. Any help would be great. Is it the torque converter?
Chrisabston

Hello Chris.

I think That A/C compressor could be " locked".
And that smell its the result of belt stress.

Any " weird" noise?
Its the compressor clutch engaged?

Let me know. I`ll be here to continue the troubleshothing.

Fisherman
TYhe other question is are any codes stored? Is check engine light on? If so see if you can get them read, it will point you in the right direction.

Merlin2021
The A/C problem was intermittent and works well when idleing but not well at 40+ mph. The engine light is not on, so no codes.

Chrisabston