FUEL PUMP

2003 Ford Taurus

2003 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 112, 30 miles

I've been having problems with my car lately whereas the car sitting at idle would die intermittenly. I replaced the fuel filter which seemed to help then symptoms came back and got worse to the point that the car wouldn't even start unless I shot starter fluid into throttle body in which case the car might run for 5-10 mins.I then dropped gas tank and replaced the entire fuel pump assy. The car ran fine for 2 days after which the car sat untouced for 4 days. I came home from a trip and tried to start car and again it would only turn over and not start unless I shot starter fluid into it, and then the car ran at idle for 5 mins before dying again. I don't beleive it's the new fuel pump. Could it be a defective pump relay or maybe a bad ground?

Thanks,

Quadrunner
(734)658-3941
Quadrunner

Turn the key to on, and listen for the pump, it should run for 2-3 seconds, if not check fuses and relay in the power distribution center under the hood. If they are OK check the connector at the tank and test for power. Is your check engine light on? There will be a code set if it is the fuel pump driver module, or PCM...you will get P1233 or P1234 scan it, even if you have to buy a cheap scanner at Autozone...It's an investment that can be used on all cars sold in the US sinc 1996...post the result, or let me know if the light isn't on, Also make sure the inertia switch is pessed down, it's in the trunk...Fuel pump driver module is behind the right kickpanel, the pink/black wire is pump power, and the whte/red is pump control, test pink black for power while someone turns the key to ON.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_FPDM_1.jpg

Merlin2021
The check engine light is not on, and I did press down on the inertia button to make sure it didn't trip. My brother is stopping bye tomorrow night to hookup his obd2 computer and read the codes for me, but when I get home from work tonight I will check relays and fuses. After I installed the new pump last week I could hear the pump energize when I first tried the new pump, but now the sound that it makes isn't as loud so that's why I was wondering about a bad ground maybe not supplying enough voltage to pump. I'm also going bye Harbor Freight tonight to pick up a pressure guage to check my static pressure when keying ignition

Quadrunner
The right thing to do! Are you familair with car mechanics and testing?

Merlin2021
Yes I'm familiar with testing procedures, and I will check the relay and fuse when I get home tonight.

Quadrunner

Quadrunner
I checked my fuses and they were okay.
I pulled off rear compartment panel and checked the inertia switch and it checked out okay. I then checked the fuel pump control module and here are the results.
Pink (PWR) with blk tracer = 12 volts
blk(gnd) checked okay for continuity to ground.
Blk with Pink tracer (gnd) checked open for continuity to ground.

What sould other wires read? Such as the mod in and mod out, as well as the pmp cntl?

Could this pump control module be bad, or is there a way to check to see if it's okay.

Quadrunner
The other thing to check is the crank sensor, PCM must recieve the crank signal to energize fuel injectors.

Merlin2021
I don't think it would be a crank sensor since when I suirt starting fluid into throttle body and it starts, and secondly when I monitor data stream from the code scanner it shows rpm's which I beleive is generated by the crank sensor. I'm leaning towards a idle control vavle since if I keep the rpm's above 1000 after starting the car it will run, and it runs fine at freeway speeds.I've also replaced all wires, sparkplugs and coil pack which didn't make any difference.

Regards,

Richard
(734)658-3941

Quadrunner
A good bet, but if it starts with throrrle held prt open, can be TPS as well, But Ford did have some problems with IAC's, pull it off, if it's shinny inside, it indicates a backfire. And that woul; d of course ruin the valve!

Merlin2021
After I shoot starter fluid into throttle body I leave it closed, and I just hit the key and it fires up, so I'm more inclined to think of a iac as opposed to a bad tps sensor. Thankls for posting, when I find out problem I will post back and let everyone know.

Thanks,
Quadrunner

Quadrunner