TROUBLE CODE P0401; EGR FLOW INTERRUPTED

2001 Ford Taurus

2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 215500 miles

Recently my check engine light came on, and it started hesitating at low rpm cruising (say 25-35 mph steady on level ground) and under light acceleration. I replaced the EGR valve and the EGR flow sensor, which got rid of the check engine light, but didn't completely eradicate the hesitation. 3 months later, the light is back on and the hesitation is starting to get worse again. I also replaced the PCV valve, but that produced no results.
Jbeckett

Insufficient EGR Flow

What does that mean?EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It is part of the vehicle emmissions system, and is used to reduce combustion temperature and pressure to control Oxides of Nitrogen. There are generally three parts to the EGR system: the EGR valve, an actuator solenoid, and a differential pressure sensor EGR (DPFE). These things work together to deliver the correct amount of recirculation based on engine temperature, load, etc. The P0401 code means that OBD detected an insufficient amount of EGR.

SymptomsYou may notice drivability problems such as pinging (a.K.A. Pre-ignition knock) when the engine is under load or the vehicle is at higher speeds. There may also be other symptoms.

CausesA code P0401 most likely means one or more of the following has happened: The DPFE (differential pressure feedback EGR) sensor is faulty and needs to be replaced
There is a blockage in the EGR (tube), most likely carbon buildup
The EGR valve is faulty
The EGR valve may not be opening due to a lack of vaccuum
Possible SolutionsIn fixing this code, it is quite common for people to just replace the EGR valve only to have the OBD code return. The EGR valve is not always the culprit.

Use a vacuum pump and pull the EGR valve open while monitoring engine RPM's & DPFE voltage. There should be a noticable difference in RPM's with the EGR open
Clean out the EGR valve and/or tubing to remove deposits
Check the voltage at the DPFE, compare to specified values (refer to a repair manual for your specific model)
Replace the DPFE sensor (with a good quality / OEM one)
Replace the EGR valve