OIL FILTER LOOSENS AND LEAKS OIL

2001 Ford Taurus

2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive 14000 miles

We bought a 2nd hand car for my 16 year old daughter. Found a 2001 Ford Taurus that only had 8,000 miles on it from a dealer. It drips oil after a few weeks after getting oil changes. We take it in and the say the filter comes loose. They tighten it and it's ok for a few weeks and then does it again.

What is the problem and what can we do about it?

Thanks for your help--
Amymalk

Hello. Thanks for the donation. Much appreciated

The oil filter should not be coming loose if it is installed correctly. Have them replace the filter with new and a new oil seal. And tighten correctly. This should solve the problem. Hope this helps

Dave H
This has been the 2nd oil filter that has come loose and leaked oil. It's ok for a few weeks after changes but then loosens again and then leaks--

the first filter was installed by the dealer--the 2nd by an oil lube place--

Do I have to take the car to a dealer for a new " oil seal" or can I just take it to an oil lube place--

thanks for the info

Amymalk
The oil seal should come with the new filter. I can't believe 2 seperate places have replaced the filters incorrectly. Have the lube place check the threads on the filter and holder are not stripped? They installed it. They should check it for free? Let me know

Dave H
I'll take it back in and have them check the threads--
and let you know--

Amymalk
I had the lube place tighten the filter yesterday--it started to drip oil again today--

I made an appointment at the Ford dealer--they said it sounds like the dowel that the oil filter screws onto needs replaced--

does this sound right? Would this be a minor repair?

Amymalk
That is the threaded part I was asking you to have them check? You will need to find out why it needs replacing. The only time it can get damaged is when replacing a filter. If the new filter is not screwed on correctly it damages the threads (cross threading) which leaves the filter loose, allowing oil to leak. If it is cross threaded, then one of the repair shops that replaced the filter (probably the 1st because it because it became loose again) caused the damage. ! Let me know

Dave H
Took the Taurus into the Ford Dealer. They said the threaded dowel that the filter screws onto was loose. I guess that caused a gap between the parts and oil was able to leak out. All they did was loosen the dowel--

So far no leaking. We'll see--

Amymalk
Whoops--meant to say all they did was TIGHTEN the dowel--

Amymalk
Mmmmmmmmmmm . How did it get loose? Oh well. It's repaired now. It should be ok. But let me know if you have any more trouble with it.

Happy motoring
Dave H

Dave H