MULTIPLE MISFIRES

2001 Ford Taurus

2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

I purchased this vehicle 4 months ago. Took is to a mechanic because it has been missing out. Car was put on their machine but did not give an exact reading. He wanted to replace the sparkplugs and wires, etc. When I called the dealership where I purchased the car from the owner said that if the sparkplugs and wires were new they did not need replaced. He went on to explain the other things that went along with a tuneup and explained to me why I did not need that done. After picking my car up from the mechanic I went through the car wash. When I left there the check engine light came on. I had it checked at our local Auto Zone with their machine that they have (do not remember the name of it) but what it said was that I had multiple misfires. I explained to the manager about washing the car and the light came on, etc. And that I noticed that it seemed to miss out mainly when I was going up an incline. His diagnosis was that it was a vacuum leak possibly. At this point I don't know who to trust or if anyone is correct. I do not have 500, 600 or more dollars to just throw around and maybe not even solve the problem. Please help!
Memap1683

Hi memap1683,

Thank you for the donation.

Based on your description I woulde deduce that the problem is spark plug and wire related.

If the wires and plugs were new, it could be due to poor contact of connectioons. Check the wires and if water had gotten to the wires, it would definitely misfire.

We should start from the basics and eliminate the possibilities one by one.