I NOW HAVE A BIG VACUUM LEAK

2001 Ford Taurus

2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Thanks guys for your time and replies for my ford taurus miss firing problems. I now have a big vacuum leak. Its on the firewall side of the engine and I cant seem to find it. I need to find a vacuum hose diagram to help me find the leak. It is very big and can hear it while driving and in park. Please help me. My car cannot go. It laggs badly. Thanks guys. P.S. If you have any ideas of where its coming from please let me know. Thanks again! I can also hear it really good under the car by the left front tire. Very loud.
P_LOCO

Could be a vacuum tee on the firwall cracked, get a can of spray carb cleaner, spray the area, when the idle changes, you found the leak. BTW is the check engine light on with this leak?

Merlin2021
Yes, The engine looking icon is on but it was flashing before I replaced the coil. Is the tee like in the middle area of the firewall?

P_LOCO
Yes, but have the codes read, it could be the EGR stuck open.

Merlin2021
Hey guys sorry to not answer so soon. Ive been looking for the vacuum leak for the past couple days. This morning I was feeling around and discovered air blowing out of an area between the firewall and the engine. Its on the engine lower than the egr sensor, lower than the valve cover. Its constantly blowing and not intermitent at all. Hot. Kinda smells like exhaust when I stick my head down there and smell. I cannot see it at all just know by feeling it. Also I have replaced the egr sensor and the mass air flow sensor. Im thinking its not a vacuum leak at all but maybe an egr leak or something like that. I felt around the exhaust manifold and dont feel any leaks. The air blowing out is centered on the engine straight down from the egr sensor. Im trying to find a diagram of that side of the engine so I can roughly tell what it may be. Can you guys send me a diagram of it if you have one? Its the firewall side of the engine center of engine. Thanks for your time guys. Very appreciated. This has helped so much more than the auto parts people. Thanks again.

P_LOCO
There is a stainless steel tube about one inch in diameter that runs from the exhaust manifold up to the EGR, and has two small rubber hoses to the EGR position sensor, check for a possible crack in that tube, this would set a P0401 code for EGR insufficeint flow, again read the codes, Autozone will do it for free.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_EGRTUBE_1.jpg

Merlin2021
This is awesome guys thanks! I will check it. I discovered feeling aroung the source of the air blowing out. Its a tube stainless that runs horizontaly across the back of the engine well firewall side. It goes thru the bracket that holds the coil on. Right in the hole the bracket makes to clear the tubing. I put some foam packed it around the bracket and looked in the mirror to see it covered with foam all around it. Then I started the engine reved it shut it down and looked in the mirror to see if it blew the foam away and it did. I checked it that same way several time to make sure it is where it coming from. The tubing could possible have a crack in it?Will that make the car lose all power? I did have it code checked after all I replaced and it said no error codes available. He checked it twice. And theres only one plug for that tester to plug into. So no codes tripped and a leak in the egr system. What could possibly be wrong. The car goes five miles an hour up a slight grade hill. It wants to go but it feels like its being held back. Im close I know it. Thanks guys for your time once again. One more thing. Will like an exhaust leak wrap work to temporarily fix it till I get enough money to buy what ever tube is leaking. It does have pressure especialy when I give the engine some gas. Same pressure the large tube that connects the egr sensor With the short thick rubber hose to connect it. Well thanks guy again I hope I gave you enough clues this time around. Later.

P_LOCO
The only tube back there besides the exhaust pipe is that EGR system feedback tube.

Merlin2021