FORD TAURUS SERPENTINE BELT PROBLEM

2001 Ford Taurus

Air Conditioning problem
2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

Can I put a serpentine belt on this vehicle that does not have air-cond? I hear some definate humming and chattering and I can see the outer ring of the clutch just spinning. This car is for my daughter who is off to college (not too far away) so I need a simple fix. I'm just not sure that it will clear the compressor pulley and mess anything else up with the heater system.

thanks so much for the help.

Scott
Coldcrane

First of, all Tauruses were sold with A/C, there was no option for no A/C when you go ask for the shorter belt. And, if there were an option for no A/C, simply getting a belt with no A/C does not work. What you need to do is to get a piece of rope, loop it through whatever pulleys that you need the belt to run (keep it tight), measure the length of the rope and ask for that length of a belt.

Here is how to read the belt. I'll use Goodyear for an example. You standard belt is 4060855. "40" denotes serpentine belt, "60" denotes the belt has six ribs, and "855" is the length, 85.5 inches. Supposed that you need a belt that measures 77.5 inches, you will ask your parts guy for 4060775 Goodyear Gatorback. If they don't carry Goodyear Gatorback, ask them to cross-reference to the brand they carry.

Now. here is the twist. Look at the two belt routing diagrams. Look at your 8th digit of the VIN, it will either a 2, U, or S. You may be able to bypass the A/C pulley for VIN 2 or U, but I am not so sure for VIN S. You also want to make sure that the way the pulleys run. What I mean is that if a pulley runs clockwise, it has to stay to run clockwise with the shorter belt. Can't run the opposite direction.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_taurusvinubelt_3.jpg

3.0L V6 OHV Vin "U" or "2"

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_taurusvinsbelt_2.jpg

3.0L V6 DOHC VIN "S"

Zackman
Thanks so much for the info. My dear wife brought it to the mechanic (a local friend and certified mech) and he said because the noise was so " intermittent", he couldn't tell but thought the compressor was the culprit. I will keep you experts advised. Thanks again

scott

Coldcrane