THE GEM (GENERIC ELECTRONIC MODULE)

2000 Ford Taurus

Computer problem
2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 138000 miles

My 2000 Ford Taurus' Headlights-On Warning Chime failed and new fuses I installed for the cigarette lighter kept burning out almost immed. My mechanic says I need a GEM (Generic Electronic Module) replacement (Parts Quote: $513).
QUESTION: Is it possible that the same electrical short that caused the cig lighter fuses to burn out also short out my GEM? If so, and I have a new GEM installed, could the electrical situation cause the new GEM to short out?

QUESTION: Is it possible to obtain a USED GEM? I've heard it is, as long as the Used GEM's Part Number matches the old one's exactly.

DD
Ddstarke

Was it scanned for B codes? B1342 is the faulty GEM code, and PCM should be reset and if B 1342 comes back, then you replace the GEM, this could be a grounded power wire for the lighter, has this been checked? And yes you can use a used one, but if you buy from a junkyard, electrical sales are final, even if you later don't need it.

Merlin2021