ROUGH IDLE

2000 Ford Taurus

2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 85300 miles

hi the other day I took my daughter to the post office
on returning home I pulled up to a stoplight and my 2000 taurus started idleing rough I thought the car would die on me at the intersection but it didnt so when the light turned green I took off like always. It runs fine when driving but only when I stop like at a stoplight
the car again starst idleing rough again when I take off it's fine I cleaned the maf with maf cleaner I hope that would help but it did not. There is also no check engine lights on the car has always ran fine until now. Thanks any reply will be aprecieated thanks
Jbaker

I call that preventive maintenance. You did the right thing to clean the maf sensor because it is one of the sensor is most likely to cause that problem.
Beside that you have the IAC sensor and wiring.
The IAC is a kind of small nose for the engine to breath when the gas pedal is not pushed down, same as saying when coming to a stop. If that is malfunctioning, the car will feel like choking when idling.
In real life, we said" everybody is inocent until proven guilty" : -)
there is no code(s) right now, the car is driving fine so far.
Let me know as soon as possible there is other symptoms or engine light, so we can take care of it.

Mathiaso
What do I use to clean the iac sensor with. Can I use the same can of maf cleaner I have or does it require a diffrent cleaner. I will give it a good cleaning and see where it gets me thanks for your prompt reply for the first question.

Jbaker
It is attached to the throttle body

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_IAC_2.jpg

and look like this ,here seen in different positions

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_ford_idle_1.jpg

When suspecting a IAC problems ,first perform a visual inspection.most problem can be found in wiring harnesses, conectors(oily or corroded connectors).
an unstable idle or stalling can be cause by vacuum leak or faulty PCV valve.in some cases just dirty electrical connections at the IAC can cause a problem.
***The IAC Valve Assembly is NOT ADJUSTABLE and CANNOT BE CLEANED
If physical evidence of contamination exists, install a new IAC valve.
Testing:
Key symptom is elevated idle speed while noise is occurring.
"Snapping" the throttle can induce the noise.
While the noise is occurring, place an EngineEAR probe near the IAC valve , If the IAC valve is making the noise, install a new IAC
removal:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_idle_removal_1.gif

if the vehicle still stall after testing or replacing the IAC, nest move will be to test the computer ground.
let me know .

Mathiaso
I have a 2000 taurus doing the same thing. I changed the MAF sensor and the IAC valve and the problem is still there. Just a heads up not to waste the money.

Silverbill
My girlfriends car (2000 Ford Taurus DOHC) had a similar sounding issue. It ended up being the lower plenum intake manifold gaskets. An easy way to check to see if this is the problem is to spray brake cleaner along the interface between the lower plenum and cylinder head (would also work by spraying brake cleaner between upper and lower plenum if the leak is in that region). The idle should pick up momentarily right after spraying the brake cleaner. The idle will go rough again after a second or two. However, if it reacts to this then odds are it's the intake gaskets. You can get a full set of intake gaskets for around $15 bucks at most auto parts stores.

The repair isn't too complicated and can be performed by a novice/average mechanic in around an hour and a half if great care is taken. Ensure to not get ANYTHING in the intake ports once the intake manifold is off.

Hope this helps someone.

Bluke133
First thing to do is check yoru fuel pressure and scan for codes, start there. Then take your maf cleaner and clean teh throttle plate on both sides as they get gunked up with oil and cause similar problems. Then check for any vacuum hoses off or any hoses/valve cover connectors that are rubber for holes. Also there is tube that runs from the intake to the egr connectins that tends to get loose, you can either get anew part or try putting a zip tie on it and tightening itup, it wil last for a little while.