RACK , TIE RODS, BALL JOINTS OR STRUTS

2000 Ford Taurus

Steering problem
2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 109420 miles

Experiencing a fairly loud squeking sound coming from the front end or steering assembly when turning. Are there any points of lubrication that should be sought out in the front end or steering assemblies before thinking some major parts need replacement? Like rack and tie rods, ball joints, struts. There are no leaks of fluid in the driveway but something has a really dry squeaking sound and would like some professional advice on options and possible cost.
Wdoss

Unfortunately Ford led the way many years ago in leaving off grease fittings. That saves a nickel per fitting. Build a million cars, save four million nickels. Who cares how long the parts last. Ok, that's my sarcastic answer, but every manufacturer took a lesson and they're doing the same thing.

In my experience as a suspension and alignment specialist, when Ford parts start squeeking, it isn't long before they separate and you lose control. This used to be REAL common on the '80s Escort and Tempo outer tie rod ends but they don't cause quite so much trouble on the Taurus. Still, the front end should be inspected at a tire and alignment shop or by your regular mechanic. The lower ball joints are the most comon cause of a squeek when turning but the outer tie rods can cause that too. The rack and pinion is not very likely since the inner tie rod ends don't swivel very much.

Most aftermarket replacement lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends come with grease fittings. Ask your mechanic if there are fittings on any parts they install so you can tell the guys who change your oil. Most of the people who just do oil changes know there aren't any fittings on Fords so they don't look for them. As a result, they can be overlooked leading to early wear of the part.