NO OR INTERMITTANT HEAT

2000 Ford Taurus

Heater problem
2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 185000 miles

We got this car about six months ago. Over the summer we noticed that the heat did not work on occasion on chilly mornings, but turning the heat switch a few times usually got it working again.
The car developed a leak at the seam on the rear of the fill tank causing us to replace the tank and cap.
The coolant was muddy so we also had the system flushed four or five times to clear it up and replaced the thermostat.
The car then would not put out heat at all. We checked the hoses and could not really tell what was going on with them so we replaced the heater core.
I found just replacing the $60 heater core is $800 at the garage because Ford did not have the brain power in the design dept. To angle the cover and core just a little lower to allow its removal past the dash.
The $800 is for the complete tear down, removal and re-installing of the steering wheel, air conditioning system, instrument panel and dash.
My F 100 core replacement just a few years ago, was half a dozen bolts, two hoses and an hour of work. This one was two days.
Just a little drop in the core position would have made it about an hour to replace.
Now we are getting no heat when idleing or stopped but the system seems to heat when the car is moving. I can not get anyone that can tell me how to check the heat switch, but the Ford mechanic tells me they do not normally have any trouble with them.
I saw a posting about the pump blades disappearing from the sediment in the system causing the system to not produce enough flow.
Does that sound like what I am looking at now?
I have most of the system new already. A pump will not add that much more.
I am just glad that I can do my own work.
Endunk