IDLES HIGH

2000 Ford Taurus

2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 165000 miles

I have a 2000 Taurus- the engine started idling at 2000 RPMS. After a few times doing this, it started climbing to 3000 RPMS and higher.
I replaced the IAC and the EGR- the engine will " run" at 500 rpms when the IAC is unplugged- however it stalls until it is throughly warmed up, unless I goose the throttle.
the local ford dealer could not tell me anything- they wanted to replace the computer, but said this may not be the issue.
Jkamm1

Have you checked for codes? How does it drive? Did dealer diagnose car or was it a phone call? ECM controls IAC so if unpluging brings idle down that tells the ECM is doing that. If no codes for crank sensor then ECM is a possibility.

Docfixit
Car drives ok- small decrease in mpg. Rpms normal within the gear ranges.
The dealer had it in the shop, they could not get a clear diagnosis. They wanted to replace the ECM just so they could be sure that was not causing it.

Once I plug the IAc in- the check engine light goes off. No codes except for the IAC being unplugged.

Jkamm1