ELECTRICAL STARTER ISSUES CONSTANTLY BLOWI

2000 Ford Taurus

2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

I recently had a problem with my 2000 Taurus SE starting. The 40 amp fuse that support the starter is the problem. Apparently the 40amp fuse under the hood repeatedly blows ever other time I attempt to start the car. When this fuse goes nothing on the dash board and radio, lights up. The car will not turn over at all. Then if I replace the fuse and immediately attempt to start the car another 40 amp fuse is blown. I have even increase the amps of the fuse to a 60 amp and it still blows. Initially my mechanic stated it was the starter or the relay so I replaced both, I even replace the battery but it still happens. I had it checked again for a short sensing it may be a wire lose that wasn't grounded however the mechanic did not find anything. I am sure it is an electric problem but no one seems to have a clue where the problem is. Presently I have another mechanic claiming its the ignition switch but it can't be that either because the car starts after sitting for a day once I replace the blown fuse. This vehicle never shuts off while I am driving but if I stop for gas and turn off the car when I attempt to restart the vehicle the same problem occurs. During the time it is not working it will blow whatever number of fuses I place in it. Usually its a 24hour process before it works again. Do you have any clue what could be causing this problem? Should I just get rid of the vehicle or is this something I can fix? Can you please give me some guidance?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/257903_b1df88721383d9a05d56553d1bae292642809tauengJPGlarge_1.jpg

Ajenkins4

Replace or at least test the ignition switch, not the key, but the platic part that plugs into the harness, it's on the same fuse as the starter relay. Here's how.
STEERING COLUMN SWITCHES -2000 Ford Taurus SE
Page 1 of 1

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_taurus_1.jpg

Page 1 of 1
TEST C: IGNITION SWITCH INOPERATIVE
1.Remove and inspect fuse F107 (40-amp) from battery junction box. If fuse is blown, replace fuse. If fuse blows again, go to next step. If fuse is okay, go to step 4 . 2.Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Disconnect ignition switch connector C250. Measure resistance between ground and output side of fuse F107 (40-amp). If resistance is greater than 10 k/ohms, go to next step. If resistance is less than 10 k/ohm , repair short to ground in appropriate wire. See POWER DISTRIBUTION article in WIRING DIAGRAMS. 3.Install fuse F107 (40-amp). Ensure ignition switch connector C250 is disconnected. Measure voltage at terminals B1, B3, B4 and B5 (all Light Green/Violet wires) at ignition switch connector C250. If voltage exists at all terminals, go to next step. If voltage does not exist at any terminals, repair open in Light Green/Violet wire. 4.Test ignition switch. See IGNITION SWITCH under COMPONENT TESTS. If ignition switch is okay, go to next step. If ignition switch is defective, replace ignition switch. See IGNITION SWITCH under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. 5.Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Connect ignition switch connector C250. Disconnect central junction box connector C270b. Turn ignition switch to RUN position. Measure voltage between ground and terminal No. 20 (Gray/Yellow wire) at central junction box connector C270b. Measure voltage between ground and terminal No. 21 (Red/Light Green wire) at central junction box connector C270b. Measure voltage between ground and terminal No. 33 (Red/Light Blue wire) at central junction box connector C270b. Measure voltage between ground and terminal No. 17 (Black/Light Green wire) at central junction box connector C270b. See Fig. 3 . If voltage exists at all terminals, replace central junction box. If voltage does not exists at any terminal, repair open in appropriate wire(s). See POWER DISTRIBUTION article in WIRING DIAGRAMS. Retest system operation.
Fig. 3: Identifying Central Junction Box Connector C270b Terminals
Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.

10/18/2008

Merlin2021
My 2000 Taurus just started doing exactly the same thing. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

I already changed the ignition switch and that didn't help.

Thanks in advance!

-Scott

Scottmaggie