AIR CONDITIONING REPAIR

2000 Ford Taurus

Air Conditioning problem
2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 102000 miles

My air conditioner was working and slowly started getting warmer and warmer until there was no cool air. I took it in to a repair shop and they said they found a leak and replaced a spring lock and " O" ring, and " accumulator to the compressor". That worked for all of 4 days. The same thing happened. It slowly started getting less and less cool. Untill no cold air at all. I took it back to them and they told me that I needed to replace the evaporator. This was an 8 hour job. Which they told me they would have to take the dashboard apart to fix it. I paid 700.00+ for them to fix this. I picked the car up on Monday. Drove it straight home and parked it. The ac seemed to be working fine however, now the check engine light was on. I called and they told me they just need to reset it. On Tuesday morning it was cold so I used the defrost. Afterwork on Tuesday evening I noticed the ac was only cold at the coldest setting. If I tried to back off on the temperature a little bit it went straight to warm. No inbetween. I made a mental note to ask about it when I take the car back to have the check engine light. Today (wednesday) I needed to use the defrost this morning again. And this afternoon. No AC. There is no air coming out of the vents even at the highest setting. I hear the air, sounds like it's coming out of the defrost area, and the air is hot. Seems to me it's stuck on defrost. My question and fear is. If I take it back, will they tell me it's something completely different that is going wrong. And I'll have to pay even more? Could it perhaps be that they didn't put things back together correctly? Is this problem related to the work they just charged me for? I don't want to go in and be taken advantage of b/c of my lack of knowledge.
Luknmyeyes