BAD HEAT

1999 Ford Taurus

Heater problem
1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 99 Taurus. I purchased the car with 59,000 miles. I bought it in warmer months so didnt check heat. Now, I have had the car several years. My symptoms are I have hot heat when the fan speed is on low or next to low. When I turn it to high or next to high it goes from hot to warm. Sometimes it goes from hot to warm instantly and sometimes it takes 5 minutes. I have had some work done to fix it. I replaced the water pump and thermostat. I felt both heater hoses going to core and they are hot. I flushed the core and a lil bit of rust came out but flow was good and clear. I have flushed the cooling system with new antifreeze. All of the things I have done to the car has helped a lil each time. I also have put the front end on ramps and opened up the pressure tank to get rid of air. The only other thing is the temperature gauge. It takes forever for my car to warm up. When it does warm up the gauge doesnt go up very far. It appears taht it should be higher but not positive on that. When the car is warmed up and I am driving I turn the heat on and it is hot, as this happens the temperature gauge on the car drops. It gradually goes back up, but does fluctuate sometimes as I am driving. When the heat is on I turn the temperature knob from cold to hot to make sure the blend door is working. I am completely out of ideas on this. If there is anything that I am missing and that I should check let me know.
Ajf_40

How warm does the engine get? Also, are you sure the blend door is open the entire way? Have you tried bleeding air from the heater core by loostening the return line to the engine?

Let me know.