STARTING TROUBLE

1998 Ford Taurus

1998 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

My car sporadically (once a week usually) will not start. I found that by pressing the accelerator to the floor and turning it over, the car will start. The rest of the time, it starts and runs fine without having to mash the gas. I've noticed it has always had a high idle when it is first started. I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, and PCV valve. It was scanned at the dealership and showed no error codes. I was thinking of trying the idle air control valve or EGR valve. Maybe vacuum line leak somewhere? Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks
Brandonteifke

HARD START/LONG CRANK TIME - VEHICLES WITH 3.0L OR 3.4L ENGINE
APPLICATION
Model(s): Ford: 1996-98 Taurus
Lincoln-Mercury: 1996-98 Sable
Bulletin No.: 98-21-12
Date: October 26, 1998
ISSUE
Some vehicles may experience a hard start/long crank time condition. This may be caused by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) calibration, Idle Air Control (IAC) valve, or the fuel pump depending on the vehicle symptoms. This TSB has been developed to aid the technician in diagnosis.
ACTION
Perform normal diagnostic procedure as outlined in the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Service Manual. If concern is not found, refer to the following text and the DIAGNOSTIC AND INSPECTION PROCEDURES below.
Crank time is measured from voltage drop to 700 rpms. Crank time should be approximately 1 second for ambient temperatures at or above 0 °C (32 °F) and should not exceed 6 seconds at or below -29 °C (-20 °F).
Obtain an Authorized Modifications Decal (FPS 8262 - obtainable through DOES II, 25/pkg) and list the date, dealer number, and summary of modifications performed.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Capture_2.jpg

Select a prominent place adjacent to the Vehicle Emission Control Information Decal suitable for installing the Authorized Modifications Decal. Clean the area, install the decal, and cover it with a clear plastic decal shield.

BMRFIXIT