POWER DITRIBUTION BOX

1998 Ford Taurus

1998 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

This car was in an accident. The front of the car was dammaged including the above mentioned power distribution box. Can this box be replaced without having to replace the wiring harness? Other than this problem this car is a good runner and feels tight when you drive it.
Jamesjordan

Yes, there are two ways to do it. First you have to find a dist. Block the same as the one you have. The same model/year would be the best. If/when you find one you need to make sure when they cut it out they cut the wires as long as possible.
Then: #1 easiest way
Disconnect the battery and cut each wire on you existing block ONE AT A TIME and " splice" the wires into the new block. Your existing block mat have terminals in it that the new block doesn't. These terminals will have to be popped out and reinstalled in the new block.
#2 the best way.
Again, disconnect the battery and pop the wires out of the old block and the new block, again ONE AT A TIME, and transfer the wires to the replacement block.
You may be able to get a new OEM block from the dealer. I would check if you want to go that way. Either way, I can't stress enough, the importance of getting the right wire in the right place or you'll open a real can of worms. Hope this helps.

James W.