IS THE CAR GONE?

1998 Ford Taurus

1998 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Automatic

Sometimes when we are going up a hill the car seems to hesitate and go very slow. Other times. It seems as if the tires stick and all of a sudden we go.

Today this happened as my husband was driving (it knows the difference). Then there was a smell like burning rubber. However when we got to where we were going the car was smoking under the hood and in back. We let it set for awhile and it started fine. But there is fluid coming from under the car. Husband thinks its transmission fluid (he's pretty good about trouble shooting). But he doesn't know what it means. Other than we had to leave it and will have to have someone look at it.

We cant afford another vehicle. And I am really sick over this. He said maybe its just a gasket. Is it possible it could be something simple?

Angelshutters