CYLINDER HEAD BOLT SPECIFICATIONS

1998 Ford Taurus

1998 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 129000 miles

129K miles on 1998 Ford Taurus 3.0L OHV. I am replacing one piston and the connector rod. One cylinder head bolt hole is stripped out. I want to retap the hole without pulling the motor. I can use the Heli-coil kits or their equivalent for this if I knew which size to get. I don't want to guess, and can't find much info about the bolt. It is a new Ford Genuine Part from the dealer, part number F2DZ-6065-A. A local machine shop measured the diameter and pitch of the old bolt and came up with 10.5 x 1.50.
A place that sells bolts and fasteners measured the same bolt and said it was 12.0 x 1.75.
Can you help?

Also, what about the new bolts I have put in already - have executed the first torque, but not the reverse and retorque step. Can I still use them?

I cannot proceed without more information. Thank you so much.
Pjaneski

The bolt size depends on the manufacturing date. This was a mid-year split. So it doesn't matter who measured what. I'd go with the machine shop frankly if I had to choose.. Can always buy a pitch gauge which comes in handy.

To 7-13-98 is one number, the other is obviously from 7-13-98

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_ytau_1.jpg

I would get the bolt set you need fresh. This is fel-pro, but call your supplier and ask them to find out what the size is based on your build date.

I need the diameter and pitch of the cylinder head bolt, new Ford equipment, Ford part number F3DZ-6065-A according to the specs that Ford engineers had them manufactured.

I need this information in order to repair the bolt hole that will receive the new bolt.

The old bolt was damaged on the end, and stripped the threads inside the bolt hole when I removed it. I read where this happened to other people, but no further information was available.

Having the old one measured by hand held pitch gauge has delivered different results depending on who is holding the gauge.

If the specs on this bolt, new equipment, are not available, please let me know. If you know where I can find out myself I will go there and try to find it.

Pjaneski
I understand.

The bolts are torque to yeild and must be replaced, you can not measure the threads on them once they have been used as they stretch. Do not reuse them.

The aftermarket ones I shown above is the answer you need. You'll get the right ones based on prod date. Then you can get the heli-coil kit you need based on those. This particular one was from NAPA. Tell them which set you want and a heli-coil kit to match them. When you get it, verify the bolt is correct by threading into a good hole. Once that is verified, you can put in the heli-coil.

You can call the dealer parts department and inquire. They may or may not have that info. The parts department is not always given complete information from FORD, but would be another method to get the spec. If they show it. You can order the head bolts through they dealer as well, but you can't get the heli-coil through them. More expensive and less convenient with more work.

I'll call the dealer when I get in to work and let you know.

I have purchased from Ford new cylinder head bolts, and have partially installed all but one. The instructions were clear on the install sequence and the first torque, to 63 pounds. When I attempted to install this bolt, I found the hole to be stripped. None of the bolts had the reverse half turn, then retorque performed on them. If I read what you are telling me correctly, since I have taken them out to repair the threads, I should consider this new set to be stretched and purchase another new set. Is that correct?

I would rather not attempt to measure the diameter and pitch of the new bolt by hand, but would prefer the exact specs from Ford if I can get them.

Pjaneski
My apologies, I would still use them. Reading so many posts, I get blinders on. I should have re-read more carefully.

The dealer could only supply this info: M11 x 100

No pitch available from them.

I think if you get a pitch gage that you screw the bolt into that has 11 mm, you won't have a problem.

Thanks very much. That helps. I will get the helicoil 11mm according to whatever the pitch gauge tells me.

It helps to know I can use these new bolts too.

Thanks so much!

Pjaneski