98 TARUS TURNS BUT WONT START.

1998 Ford Taurus

1998 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

98 Taurus 3.0 V6 OHV
Last year I thought I had problems with slight water leek around intake manifold gaskets. I used some block leek sealer for a fix and it work but during the last year I installed a new set of intake manifold gaskets. It ran fine except the battery was getting drained while sitting overnight. I fixed the electricity drain (bad door latches) but I had let it sit over the summer until now because I had more cars at home (kids) then I wanted to insure and didn't need it to run. In January I needed the car again so I installed a new battery. When I started it up the first time it had no problems. The water pump was squeaking (bearing going bad) so I replaced it.

The problem is that it soon became increasingly harder to start.

At first I suspected the fuel pump. I had read to turn the ignition switch a few times before starting to make sure it was primed. This didn�t seem to make that much difference. The pump could be heard running. The fuel pressure release valve always released a lot of pressure when released. In fact when I pulled the plugs after trying to start it they were covered with fuel.

I figured I had spark because it would run fine after starting.

After some online browsing I thought it might be something to do with the sensors. I replaced the ECT and the TPS. I cleaned the MAF with electronic connection cleaning spray. When the engine was warm, I tested the engine speed sensor by disconnecting it while the engine was running and it died. Once connected the engine ran fine. So I believe those sensors are fine.

I have swapped the coil (same part number) out the Taurus with one that is working in my 97 Mustang to make sure the coil was working. The one from the Taurus worked in the Mustang but not visa versa.

Finally, for the past week I had to crank the engine WOT for about a minute were the engine would catch enough for the battery light to go off but not enough to run. It would eventually catch enough to gain power and I could stop cranking. The car would then run fine. It wouldn�t stall and only slightly miss occasionally. It would have lots of power to accelerate and was good up to around 75 then it would falter slightly.

The car is now in my driveway unable to start. It just cranks and only sputters occasionally. The spark plugs are clean and gaped correctly. They still get a lot of gas on them when I pull them after cranking for a while. There is spark coming through the wires. I have had to jump my battery in order to keep trying to start it. I�m afraid I�m going to burn up my starter.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
Adamgill