BRAKES

1996 Ford Taurus

I have a 1996 Ford Taurus SE 122,000 miles on it. Recently, when I brake, it sounds likes there are jingle bells under my car! I have no idea if this means I need new brakes or not. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!
Juliel

Dear Juliel,
Never had anyone describe any type of noise coming from a car as jingle bells LOL. I will try my best to help you. The fact that the noise is happening when you apply the brakes is a good chance you need brakes. When were the brakes last replaced? If it has been awhile or you don't know you will have to pull all the tires and inspect each brake pads and rotors. Also is the sound coming from all the wheels, some of the wheels and are any of the wheels making more noise than the others. If so, start with that wheel to look for the source of the noise. Good luck Backyardmechanic

Backyardmechanic
Thanks so much for your help, backyardmechanic!

I have no idea when the brakes were last done so I'm going to just get them all replaced. It's not only a jingle bell sound but occasionally, a " whomp-whomp-whomp" sound when I brake. The whop-whomp-whomp sound comes more from the back of the car and the jungle bell sounds come from the front since I can hear it a lot when I roll down my windows while braking.

Putting the sounds my car makes into words is quite harder than I though!

I'm just afraid of most mechanics at shops, ripping off young women like me. They fix my brakes but then make up other things that " need fixing" and charge me a lot more. So how much should a full set of new brakes, both front and back, and all the things it needs for brakes, cost me?

Juliel
Dear Juliel,
Some shops will take advantage of a female costumer so the best way to pick a reliable and trustworthy repair shop is to have one recommended to you by a friend your family member. Also have a male (father, boyfriend, brother etc) go with you to have the repair done. They are less likely to be ripped off. And finally request the old parts from your car back, so you known they really replaced what they claim they did. Some parts have a core charge which means the shop as to give the old parts back in order to receive credit from the auto parts store, but you can still request to see them before they are returned. The price of the repair will depend on several factors. For example where you live will affected the price. I will give a ball park price. If all you need is the front pads and the rear brake shoes it should cost between 200- 250. However from the way it sounds you need more than just the pads and shoes replaced. I suspected you also need the rotors/drums or both cut or replaced. If this the case it will cost more like 400-450. Hope this helps : o BYM

Backyardmechanic