BRAKE LIGH ON AFTER SLAMMING ON THEM

1996 Ford Taurus

1996 Ford Taurus SL 120,000 miles.

Hi I was driving about 45 miles per hour and had to slam on my brakes very hard and very quickly. The brakes kind of " locked up" and I thought I wasn't going to ever brake and had to put my foot and the brake to the floor. Now I have to literally put the petal to the floor until it starts to slow the car down every time. Also about 7 miles after this happened, my brake light is now on. I just had my rear brakes replaced 5 days ago. What is the problem?

Thank you
Juliel

Sounds like you damage the master cylinder or ruptured some part of the brake system when you slammed on the brakes. Are there any signs of brake fluid leaking? Inspect the entire brake system for any leaks. This should include the master cylinder, lines, wheel cylinders and calipers. I suspect you will find your problem there. Good luck Backyardmechanic : )

Backyardmechanic