BAT S- CRAZY ELECTRICAL (?) PROBLEMS 96 FO

1996 Ford Taurus

1996 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

My battery light came on the other day, so we replaced a cracked cable. That didn't do the trick. I drove it the next day and the light stayed on, and while driving, my stereo cut out, my tach went to 0 and after a short while later the airbag light came on, the blinkers started clicking without being touched, then the car died. We replaced the battery. It just happened again. I had to be towed home. Has anybody heard of this before? Is it my alternator? We had that checked, and they said it tested fine. Help!
Anchovie19

Any check engine light? Get scanned anyway. Possibly could be the mlps, multi-lever position sensor, also known as the neutral safety switch. Cause a lot of weird electrical issues. Sits on top of the trans, below the air cleaner plumbing, has a large electrical connector attached. Problematic piece. Good luck

TaurusWheel