WATER PUMP

1995 Ford Taurus

Engine Cooling problem
1995 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

I just installed a new water pump on my car. But I didn't do step one. Drain the radiator. I believe I got everything else right. One other thing tho. I drove it maybe 350 yards with very very very low oil I pulled it over and the engine was smoking. So I put oil in and drove it about 5 miles as I was driving I heard knocking in the engine. After 5 miles the engine shut off. I can drive the car but only at low speeds and it eventually over heats and shuts down.

my question is did I mess up the piston with driving it with no oil? Or is it that I didn't drain the radiator before replacing the water pump. I was told there could be air pressure built up in the lines not allowing the water to circulate. The knocking sounds like a baring in a spray paint can but not a random noise the knocking is on time only changing slightly and recuring in rythem.
Stovepipe_

Hi stovepipe and welcome to 2carpros

Check for air lock-bleed the cooling system and see what happens-does it sounds like a bunch of marbles being thrown into an empty tin can-if so its pinging that you're hearing. Could also be a knock sensor/EGR problem. Overheating will cause the engine to ping

Always bleed air from cooling system after replacing coolant. Set heater for maximum heat. Remove radiator cap. Loosen drain plug and remove drain bolt (if equipped) from engine block. Drain coolant reservoir. Fill coolant reservoir to MAX mark with 50/50 water-coolant mixture. Loosen bleed bolt and fill radiator up to base of filler neck. Close bleed bolt when coolant flows out without bubbles. Tighten bleed bolt. With radiator cap removed, start and operate engine to normal operating temperature. Add coolant if necessary and check for leaks.

Good Luck

Thanks you,
i'm young and don't know much about cars and I appreciate your advise greatly.

Stovepipe_